Thursday, June 11, 2009

Power

One of the reasons I am going to England (in 13 days!) is to tap into my own power and resiliance as a person and as a woman. Recently, I came across this video and was reminded how very powerful women can be when they sing.

MeNaiset is a Finnish folk group whose songs are based on Finno-Ugric traditions, melodies, and language. It's quite startling for someone who has never heard this style of music before; many of the singing techniques used in FinnoUgric folk songs are related to breath (like Inuit throat-singing), and mimicking animal calls and tones. I don't know what the lyrics for this song are, but from an outsider's point of view, it reminds me of Ojibway drum circles, where tones are used instead of words to convey the message. Every time I watch it, I am left with a feeling of the strength and power of women. What do you think?

It is an old video, and I'd like to share before it goes missing.

ETA-I have since been informed that the lyrics for this song are rather frivolous, but my point still stands. The topic of the song notwithstanding, it still sounds powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment